Mobility exercises are a fantastic way to increase joint flexibility, improve posture, decrease the risk of injuries, and enhance overall physical performance. Even better, many of these exercises can be easily performed in the comfort of your own home. Here are ten of the best mobility exercises to add to your daily routine.
- Start on your hands and knees in a tabletop position.
- Inhale and arch your back, lifting your head and tailbone towards the ceiling (Cow pose).
- Exhale and round your back, tucking your chin and tailbone (Cat pose).
- Repeat for 10-15 cycles.
- From a kneeling position, sit back onto your heels.
- Stretch your arms forward on the ground.
- Lower your chest and forehead to the floor, feeling a stretch through your back and arms.
- Hold for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart.
- Place hands on hips and make big circles with your hips in a clockwise direction for 10 rotations, then switch to counter-clockwise.
- Sit or stand tall.
- Interlace your fingers behind your head without pulling on your neck.
- Gently arch backward, focusing on extending the upper/mid back.
- Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
- Sit with your legs extended.
- Point and flex your feet, repeating this motion 10-15 times.
- Start in a plank position.
- Step your right foot outside of your right hand.
- Lower your hips forward and down to deepen the stretch.
- Hold for a few seconds, then switch sides.
- Repeat for 5-10 cycles on each side.
- Sit or stand tall.
- Tilt your head to one side, bringing your ear towards your shoulder.
- Hold for a few seconds, feeling a stretch on the side of your neck.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Do this for 10-15 cycles.
- Sit on the floor with legs extended.
- Bend your right knee and cross it over the left leg.
- Rotate your torso to the right, placing your right hand behind you for support and your left elbow outside of the right knee.
- Hold the twist for 20-30 seconds, then switch sides.
- Sit on the floor and bring the soles of your feet together, allowing your knees to drop out to the sides.
- Holding onto your feet, gently press your knees towards the floor using your elbows.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds to a minute.
Wrist Flexor Stretch:
- Extend one arm forward with the palm up.
- Use the other hand to gently pull the fingers back, stretching the underside of the wrist.
- Hold for 15-20 seconds, then switch sides.
Incorporating these mobility exercises into your daily routine can significantly benefit your overall health and fitness levels. Remember to perform each movement with control and to never push your body into any position that causes pain. With consistent practice, you'll likely notice improved flexibility, reduced stiffness, and enhanced movement in your everyday activities.